Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Etsy or not to Etsy...

For over a year now people have been urging me to sell my fininshed crochet products.  I've had an Etsy.com account Happy Accident Crochet on Etsy for a while now, but so far have yet to list an item.  It just seems so professional to say I have an actual seller account and it can be really intimidating. Not to mention that I am an incredible perfectionst and I want to have a process in place for how to list an item so that things get listed the same way each time and that I answer any buyer's questions in all the info I list, and blah, blah, blah... I could go on like that for  while.  If I step back they all look like excusses. 

What is really holding me back from listing items and trying my hand at selling my craft?  I've been asking myself that very question for the last week and I've come to a few conclusions:

1. I'm totally freaked that no one will like what I have to sell
2. I'm totally freaked taht people will love what I have to sell and I won't be able to keep up with demand
3. I'm kinda lazy and haven't wanted to take the time to list an item

And lastly and probably most important: I'm not sure I want to part with some of the amazing projects I've completed.

No one item is ever created the same (partly why I hate making mittens or slippers) and so each finished product is a little unique part of me.  It's a really strange concept to have people I don't even know taking ownership of my little babies.  When I make things for people I know it is very personal and I've usually created it just for them. There is an odd informality to selling online.  You don't get to see the person try the item on or see their eyes light up when they find that "must have". 

I think one of these days I'll just need to bite the bullet and list something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment